TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. DEFINITIONS For the purpose of this agreement “the Agency” and “the Advertiser” shall where the context so admits include their respective assignees, sub-licensees and successors in title. In cases where the Photographer’s client is a direct client (i.e. with no agency or intermediary), all references in this agreement to both “the Agency” and “the Advertiser” shall be interpreted as references to the Photographer’s client. “Photographs” means all photographic material furnished by the Photographer, whether transparencies, negatives, prints or any other type of physical or electronic material including digital files.
2. COPYRIGHT The entire copyright in the Photographs is retained by the Photographer at all times throughout the world.
3. OWNERSHIP OF MATERIALS Title to all Photographs remains the property of the Photographer.
4. USE The Licence to Use comes into effect from the date of payment of the relevant invoice(s). No use may be made of the Photographs before payment in full of the relevant invoice(s) without the Photographer’s express permission. Any permission which may be given for prior use will automatically be revoked if full payment is not made by the due date or if the Agency is put into receivership or liquidation. The Licence only applies to the advertiser and product as stated on the front of the form and its benefit shall not be assigned to any third party without the Photographer’s permission. Accordingly, even where any form of ‘all media’ Licence is granted, the photographer’s permission must be obtained before any use of the Photographs for other purposes eg use in relation to another product or sub-licensing through a photo-library. Permission to use the Photographs for purposes outside the terms of the Licence will normally be granted upon payment of a further fee, which must be mutually agreed (and paid in full) before such further use. Unless otherwise agreed in writing, all further Licences in respect of the Photographs will be subject to these terms and conditions.
5. PROMOTIONAL USE The Photographer retains the right in all cases to use the Photographs in any manner at any time and in any part of the world for the purposes of advertising or otherwise promoting his/her work. After the exclusivity period indicated in the Licence to Use the Photographer shall be entitled to use the Photographs for any purposes.
6. INDEMNITY The Photographer shall only be responsible for obtaining clearances for third party copyright works, trade marks, designs or other intellectual property if this has been expressly agreed before the shoot. In all other cases the Agency shall be responsible for obtaining such clearances and will indemnify the Photographer against all expenses, damages, claims and legal costs arising out of any failure to obtain such clearances.
7. PAYMENT Payment by the Agency will be expected for the commissioned work within 30 days of the issue of the relevant invoice. If the invoice is not paid, in full, within 30 days The Photographer reserves the right to charge interest at the rate prescribed by the Late Payment of Commercial Debt (Interest) Act 1998 from the date payment was due until the date payment is made.
8. EXPENSES Where extra expenses or time are incurred by the Photographer as a result of alterations to the original brief by the Agency or the Advertiser, or otherwise at their request, the Agency shall give approval to and be liable to pay such extra expenses or fees at the Photographer’s normal rate to the Photographer in addition to the expenses shown overleaf as having been agreed or estimated.
9. REJECTION Unless a rejection fee has been agreed in advance, there is no right to reject on the basis of style or composition.
10. CANCELLATION & POSTPONEMENT A booking is considered firm as from the date of confirmation and accordingly the Photographer will, at his/her discretion, charge a fee for cancellation or postponement.
11. STORAGE OF PHOTOGRAPHS Upon receipt of Photographs, the Agency accepts all responsibility for archiving and protecting the photographs. Photographer does not permanently archive image files. The Photographer is not responsible for the lifespan of any digital media provided or for any future changes in digital technology or media readers that might result in an inability to read files provided. It is the responsibility of the Agency to make sure that digital files are copied to new media as required.
12. RIGHT TO A CREDIT The Photographer asserts the right to be credited as the author of the Photos in accordance with sections 77 and 79 of Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. Any unauthorised reproduction of any Photos will constitute a breach of copyright.
13. LIABILITY Our entire liability for any breach of this Agreement or any representation, act or omission (including negligence) shall be limited to our fee in relation to the Photo Services and we shall not be responsible for any special, indirect or consequential or pure economic loss, costs, damages, charges or expenses. The limitation on liability shall also apply in the event that Photos are lost through equipment malfunction, are lost in the mail or otherwise lost or damaged where the Photographer is not liable.
14. APPLICABLE LAW This agreement shall be governed by the laws of England & Wales.
15. VARIATION These Terms and Conditions shall not be varied except by agreement in writing.